The Kansas City Zoo VolunTEEN program empowers teens to become community leaders in conservation, while instilling workplace values.
Already a VolunTEEN?
This comprehensive, year-long program allows teens to focus on skills and careers that they are interested in. All VolunTEENs must complete their first summer as Trailblazers before applying for other opportunities in the VolunTEEN program. Read below to learn more about the program, its requirements, and how to apply. Still have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are self-motivated, friendly, and outgoing
- Like being outdoors in ALL kinds of weather
- Are interested in animals, nature, and conservation
- May be considering a course of study in animal health, zoology, biology, education, or not for-profit business management
VolunTEEN applicants must:
- Be in the 8th-11th grades at the time of application
- Complete, in its entirety, the application packet
- If invited, attend group interviews. Interviews scheduled for Saturday April 13th, 2019.
- Pass a background check
- Pay $30 tuition (this covers costs of training materials, uniforms and background check)
- Attend a MANDATORY orientation/training session (accompanied by at least 1 parent/guardian)
- Be able to commit to 6 hours per month for one year in addition to summer responsibilities
New VolunTEEN applications will be accepted until March 15th, 2019 – no exceptions. Only completed packets will be accepted.
Rookie VolunTEEN Summer Opportunities
Trailblazers are first year VolunTeens that interact with Zoo guests of all ages by leading educational activities, presenting animal biofacts, and educating the public about conservation.
Veteran VolunTEEN Summer Opportunities
Junior Keepers get down and dirty! They get hands-on experience working directly with animal keepers in various animal departments around the Zoo.
Negative TB test is required.
Junior Interpreters educate Zoo guests about animals, conservation, and nature. They use various techniques to present conservation messages to guests such as interpretive carts, on-stage shows, and live animal presentations.
Junior Counselors work with our Zoofari Adventures summer camps, helping campers (ages 5-12) explore the world of animals through Zoo tours, crafts, games, and activities.
Still have questions? Contact us at email@example.com