All Zoo guests must have a timed reservation. Beginning June 29, in accordance with the mayor’s executive order, Zoo guests are required to wear protective face masks in areas where social distancing may not be feasible. This includes all indoor areas (including restrooms), rides, and the walking path to the Africa section of the Zoo. Masks are required for guests 5 and up and strongly recommended for ages 2-4 with close adult supervision. Guests with disabilities or medical conditions that do not allow for face masks to be worn are exempt from this requirement.
To ensure the health of our guests, employees, and animals, we are taking precautions that follow local guidelines for encouraging physical distancing and reducing high-touch areas. Please be sure to read this entire page so you will know what to expect when you visit, as some areas and amenities are currently closed.
Timed Admission Tickets
|Membership Admission||Timed tickets for FOTZ Members.|
|Postcard to Adventure JACKSON COUNTY Admission||Timed tickets for guests with Postcard to Adventure passes|
|Postcard to Adventure CLAY COUNTY Admission||Timed tickets for guests with Postcard to Adventure passes|
|Jackson County Admission||Timed tickets for residents of Jackson County|
|Clay County Admission||Timed tickets for residents of Clay County|
|General Admission||Timed tickets for all other Zoo guests|
|If you are unable to make a reservation online or need further assistance, please call 816-595-1234 or email email@example.com for assistance. We appreciate your patience as we are currently experiencing extremely high call volume and our dedicated staff members are working as quickly as possible to assist you.|
Are reservations required?
- Every person (3 years and older) needs to make a reservation to enter the Zoo.
- There are a limited number of tickets available to keep attendance within the city’s guidelines.
- Please wait in your vehicle until the entry time printed on your ticket to limit congestion at the Zoo entrance.
I’m a member. Do I still need a reservation?
- Yes, all members also require a reservation to enter the Zoo, though there will be no charge associated with the reservation. Please bring your membership card as well as your reserved ticket for admission at the front entrance.
- You will need your membership barcode number to reserve a timed entry. If you do not have your barcode number, please send our membership team an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a member of another AZA-accredited zoo, please check the reciprocal list to see if you are eligible for a discount. If so, we ask that you purchase a timed ticket on our website for the day you would like to visit, and then we will issue you a refund for your discount when you arrive. Please bring your membership card and an ID with you on the day of your visit to receive your refund.
Are memberships extended due to the closure?
- We know many of you missed out on a couple of months that you could visit the zoo this spring, so we are extending your memberships to allow you a little more time to visit.
- Memberships that expired March 31, 2020, will now expire May 31, 2020.
- Memberships that were purchased between April 1, 2019, and April 30, 2020, will be extended for two months.
- New membership cards will not be mailed out, but you can receive a reprint of your membership card with the correct expiration date when you visit the zoo.
Am I still able to use my Postcard to Adventure?
- Yes, Postcards to Adventure for Jackson and Clay County residents will be accepted, but passholders must still make a reservation to enter the Zoo.
- April Postcards to Adventure will be honored any weekday in 2020. July and August Postcards to Adventure will be in mailboxes in mid-June.
- Please bring your postcard and ID (or piece of mail with your name and address) with your timed ticket for admission at the front entrance.
How do I change/cancel my timed ticket?
- While we do not allow refunds on tickets, we will be happy to reschedule your tickets for a new date and time. Unfortunately, our online system does not currently allow you to change your timed ticket yourself, but our staff can assist you in doing that. Here are a few tips for the smoothest process:
- FOTZ members and Postcard to Adventure reservations, please reserve your new date/time (as a separate reservation) then email the order number of the date/time you wish to cancel to email@example.com. The tickets that are then released will become available for others to use, so thank you for letting us know!
- For purchased tickets, please call (816) 595-1234 to schedule your new date and time by 4 pm the day before the scheduled visit or new date desired. This includes General Admission, Jackson and Clay County discounted tickets, and FOTZ Bring a Friend discounted tickets.
- Please remember that all date and time changes are subject to availability as we have a limited number of daily admissions allowed.
- Thank you for your patience during this time! We are experiencing extremely high call volume and our dedicated staff members are working as quickly as possible to assist you!
What is open/closed? What can I see while at the Zoo?
- To assist with social distancing practices and to ensure the safety of our guests, employees, and animals, we have closed some space-restricted and high-touch areas.
- Helzberg Penguin Plaza, Discovery Barn, Chimpanzee Viewing, and Polar Bear Passage are open to the public. All other indoor animal habitats are temporarily closed. Face masks are required in indoor areas.
- All indoor animal habitats except for Helzberg Penguin Plaza, Discovery Barn, Chimpanzee Viewing and Polar Bear Passage are temporarily closed to the public. Pathways around the Africa section of the Zoo and through Australia and Tiger Trail are one-way traffic.
- West Africa (across the swinging bridge) is temporarily closed.
- Daily activities such as animal shows and Zookeeper Chats are temporarily suspended but are available virtually with a QR code you can access with your mobile phone or through our web site at www.kansascityzoo.org/virtual-chats.
- Africa Tram and the KCZoo Railroad are operating daily but have limited capacity due to physical distancing guidelines. Face masks are required and seats are disinfected between each ride. All other Zoo rides are temporarily closed.
Is food available for purchase?
- Food stands are open with extra precautions in place.
- Multiple food and beverage locations are available with limited menus.
- Guests are also allowed to bring outside food, drink, and coolers into the Zoo. Picnic tables have been spaced appropriately.
Health and Safety Practices
- Beginning June 29, in accordance with the mayor’s executive order, Zoo guests will be required to wear protective face masks in areas where social distancing may not be feasible. This includes all indoor areas (including restrooms), rides, and the walking path to the Africa section of the Zoo.
- Masks are required for guests 5 and up and strongly recommended for ages 2-4 with close adult supervision. Guests with disabilities or medical conditions that do not allow for face masks to be worn are exempt from this requirement.
- Additional hand-sanitizing stations have been placed throughout the Zoo for your use.
- We encourage guests to use credit cards for payment whenever possible. While cash will still be accepted, touchless credit card payment is preferred.
- We ask all guests to practice safe physical distancing and keep six feet between your party and others. Doing so is critical to keep the Zoo open.