Available: June - August
Experience the giant tortoises up close! You will learn about these ancient reptiles and even get an opportunity touch one of these gentle giants.
Available: Sundays, June – August
Times: 11:00am – 12:00pm
Ages: 2+; children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult who has purchased a Camel Encounter ticket
Duration: ~15 minutes (the remaining time will be used for welcome, orientation, and travel time to and from the encounter spot)
Cost: $40 per person (FOTZ members receive a 10% discount)
Maximum Group Size: 5 Guests
What to Expect
The Tortoise Encounter will take place at the Aldabra Tortoise Exhibit where you will have the opportunity to experience the giant tortoises up close. A Tortoise Zookeeper will be available to answer your questions and to discuss their job of caring for these gentle giants. For safety reasons, strollers and wheelchairs are not allowed on this experience.
We ask that you adhere to the following for your safety and the safety of the zoo’s animals:
- Children 2 to 5 years old must be carried or held by the hand of an adult in their group.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult who has purchased a Tortoise Encounter ticket.
- At least 1 adult for every 2 children under the age of 2 in your party
Where should I meet for the encounter?
Please print and bring your confirmation email receipt for Zoo entry. We will meet at the Education Offices located inside the Zoo Learning Center (the building to the right of the main entrance). When you arrive, you will be greeted by an Education staff member who will get you settled in and prepped for your experience. Be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your program start time as late arrivals will not be accommodated.
You will be free to take pictures during this experience! As with all of our experiences, you will be asked to remain mindful of the safety guidelines as you do so.
- Tours are not guaranteed to be private, unless your group fills the maximum capacity.
- Zoo admission is not included in the price of the encounter. As you book your encounter, you will have the option to add Zoo admission to your cart, should you wish to visit the Zoo on the day of your encounter.
- Encounters must meet minimum enrollment requirements of 4 participants. Should the minimum participant count not be met a week prior to your encounter, the Zoo will contact you to reschedule your experience.
- Kansas City Zoo reserves the right to cancel any tour due to unforeseen circumstances. Should this occur, the Zoo will contact you to reschedule your tour.
- Tours and encounters are non-refundable. Tours cancelled with less than 48 hours’ notice will have 30 days to reschedule and may incur a $25 rescheduling fee. No refunds or rescheduling opportunities will be given for no call/no shows.
- No accommodations will be made for late arrivals. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your program start time.