Updated March 2018
All requests are subject to approval by Kansas City Zoo. The final production piece must represent the family-friendly brand of Kansas City Zoo and its mission.
For Non-Commercial Use
Film, video and still photography are permitted for personal non-commercial use. All regular Zoo admission fees are assessed, but no additional fees will be charged. You may come to the Zoo and take photos without prior permission if these policies are followed:
- Indoor and outdoor public paths cannot be blocked.
- Participants will stay on public pathways and in public areas.
- Zoo traffic will not be stopped at any time in order to take photos.
- There will be no disruption to Zoo visitors, staff or animals in any way.
- Photos must be taken during regular Zoo hours.
- Photos taken at the Zoo should not be credited to the Zoo.
- Non-commercial photos cannot depict Kansas City Zoo in a negative light nor have any association with organizations that are inconsistent with the brand and mission.
If, at any time, a Zoo marketing representative determines the party is not abiding by the guidelines, the photography will be terminated immediately.
For Commercial Use
Film, video and still photography are permitted for commercial use following a formal request submitted and approved by Kansas City Zoo’s marketing department. The following guidelines must be followed and the fees agreed upon must also be paid in full.
- Commercial photos cannot depict Kansas City Zoo in a negative light nor have any association with organizations that are inconsistent with the brand and its mission.
- All requests must go through the marketing department.
- Interviews with Zoo personnel must be arranged in advance.
- Crews are allowed only on public pathways and in public areas, unless otherwise agreed upon.
- Animals will not be handled nor exhibits entered.
- No unauthorized vehicles are allowed on Zoo grounds.
- The following may not be used at the Kansas City Zoo: balloons, streamers, Frisbees, balls, glitter, confetti, or open flames.
- Kansas City Zoo reserves the right to review the script and scenes at any time.
- A Zoo representative may accompany your crew.
- The health and safety of visitors and animals are the Zoo’s primary concern. Other guidelines or limitations may be set or altered on a case-by-case basis.
Due to commercial photo and video sessions requiring extra staff time and disrupting regular Zoo operations, fees are charged to offset these costs. Fees may be waived or reduced at any time as determined by Kansas City Zoo. Fees are determined by a variety of factors, including but not limited to the nature and purpose of the project, the intended market, potential promotional value to the Zoo, time of day, time of year, disruption to exhibits and guests, and any other factor determined by the Zoo. Kansas City Zoo reserves the right to prohibit or stop filming at any time, for any reason.
Base fees offered during regular Zoo hours:
$150 per hour
$600 for half day (4 hours)
$1,200 for full day (8 hours)
A 50% deposit is due upon reservation and the remaining portion is due prior to the scheduled shoot. All checks should be made out to Kansas City Zoo.
Zoo staff must approve all props and decorations. For the safety of our animals, no balloons, streamers, Frisbees, balls, glitter, or confetti are allowed. Open flames are not allowed. All items brought into the Zoo for the group must arrive the day of the event with the group and be removed immediately following the event. Security for these items is not the Zoo’s responsibility.
To Submit A Request
All requests must go through the Kansas City Zoo’s marketing department. A two-week notice is required. Kansas City Zoo will make every effort to accommodate last-minute requests. Requests should include the exact locations proposed, number of people that will be present, equipment present, timeline, any activities or interviews needed, and the intended use of the footage/photos. A valid certificate of insurance may be required.
Submit your request to one of the following:
Sarah Gay, Marketing & Communications Manager
(816) 595-1206 desk
Kim Romary, Director of Marketing