AZA Ape Tag Conservation Initiative, initiated by Courtney Murray, Assistant Animal Supervisor, to support the Ape TAG (Taxon Advisory Group) that, in turn, directly supports great ape conservation efforts. Specifically, the Ape TAG works with the individual ape Species Survival Plan (SSP®) programs to ensure that ape populations in accredited zoos are properly managed to secure their long-term future and physical and psychological health.
The Ape TAG Conservation Initiative represents a collective effort by zoos to help conserve wild populations of apes. Launched in early 2010, the primary aim of the Initiative is to increase the amount and duration of zoo support for ape conservation. Specific goals include:
- Provide multi-year support for high priority ape populations and sites
- Increase the number of zoos contributing to the in situ conservation of apes
- Increase the presence of the zoo community in ape conservation
- Encourage law enforcement and in situ education through the support of sanctuaries
- Provide zoos with resources to convey ape conservation messages to the public and promote their support for in situ conservation