*** Due to concerns related to COVID-19, Animal Encounters are temporarily suspended. ***
Available: Select Saturdays, Year-round
Times: 11:30 am – 12:00 pm
Ages: 2+; children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult who has purchased a Camel Encounter ticket
Duration: ~15 minutes (the remaining time will be used for welcome, orientation, and travel time to and from the encounter spot)
Maximum Group Size: Six Guests
What to Expect
The Camel Encounter will take place behind the scenes near the Camel Barn. All of our animals participate in their encounters by their own free will. Because of this, we are never sure how many camels will decide to come closer. A Camel Zookeeper will be available to answer your questions and discuss their job of caring for these desert giants.
We ask that you adhere to the following for your safety and the safety of the animals:
- Children two to five years old must be carried or held by the hand of an adult in their group. Strollers are not allowed on this encounter.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult who has purchased a Camel Encounter ticket.
- There must be at least one adult for every two children under the age of five in your party.
Where should I meet for the encounter?
Please print and bring your confirmation email receipt for Zoo entry. We will meet at the Education Offices located inside the Zoo Learning Center (the building to the right of the main entrance). When you arrive, you will be greeted by an Education staff member who will get you settled in and prepped for your experience. Be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your program start time as late arrivals will not be accommodated.
You will be free to take pictures during this experience! As with all of our experiences, you will be asked to remain mindful of the safety guidelines as you do so.
- Tours are not guaranteed to be private unless your group fills the maximum capacity.
- Zoo admission is not included in the price of the encounter. As you book your encounter, you will have the option to add Zoo admission to your cart, should you wish to visit the Zoo on the day of your encounter.
- Encounters must meet the minimum enrollment requirements of four participants. Should the minimum participant count not be met a week prior to your encounter, the Zoo will contact you to reschedule your experience.
- Kansas City Zoo reserves the right to cancel any tour due to unforeseen circumstances. Should this occur, the Zoo will contact you to reschedule your tour.
- Tours and encounters are non-refundable. Tours canceled with less than 48 hours’ notice will have 30 days to reschedule and may incur a $25 rescheduling fee. No refunds or rescheduling opportunities will be given for no call/no shows.
- No accommodations will be made for late arrivals. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your program start time.